Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Italian Knight Speaks



A pic of me from 1996, sitting on the couch at my dads house, Sara took this while I was reading a book by Charles Dickens ; The Mystery of Edwin Drood. I didn't expect a picture, so when she said my name, I looked up and flash!

Here you go.

Its hard to believe that was 10 years ago.

Sara { now married} just had her new baby, Emerson Justice August 18th 2006.

So Hurray I'm an Uncle again.

Italian Knight A.K.A ItalianCrusaderKnight.

Family Crest and history go back to Naples in the time of the Crusades.

I make no claims of nobility in Italy. Its just pride of Family .

My grandfather was born on the Island of Ponza in 1903 , it was inhabited by Neapolitans, therefore they are known as Neapolitan-Ponzais.

My dad , who passed away November 20th 2005, was named after the Patron Saint of the island.

St. Silverio A.K.A. Pope Silverius 536 A.D.

Ponza is a Volcanic Island once used by the Romans as a stopover port for shipping heading to Rome. It was also used as a prison Island, Nero being banished there for a short time.

There is a tradition that Pontius Pilate was banished there by Tiberius Caesar for Crucifying Jesus Christ instead of sending him to Rome. According to the tradition, Caesar wildly desired to see Jesus and ask him questions. There is a cavern, partially under water called Pilates Grotto.

The Island has a wonderful beach shaped like a quarter moon and surrounded by high cliffs, an ancient stairway descends from the top of the cliffs or one may get there by boat.

Luna Bay seems to be the sides of an extinct caldera.

No comments: